Memories

"Remember the moment someone special came into your life?"

--NBC Promotion

Yes, I do.

I remember standing at the briefing counter at the FSS in Barrow while an electronics technician told jokes and made me laugh. Quite a feat considering that my heart had broken about fifteen minutes before. I sensed that underneath the humor was a sad desperation that matched, or exceded, my own and I admired this man so much for maintaining his brave front in the face of his own unhappiness.

We went on to make each other happy--for two decades now. That first meeting was more than twenty years ago, but I remember it clearly, for it changed--and redeemed-- my life.

I remember hearing the loud cries of a very young kitten as I walked up from the parking lot at the Homer Animal Shelter. A handful of orange fluff, screaming in hunger, outraged at the unfairness of the world. Three weeks into her life in this world, she was already possessed of strong opinions and a force of will that I was helpless against. I took her home--just for a little while--and never took her back. I know now it had been meant to be. I may have saved her life--but I am the lucky one.

The phone rang and the voice on the other end was more familiar than my own. It's funny how life throws things at you--even impossible things--as if to see how fast on your feet you are. Does an arrow in flight know the course of its trajectory? I doubt it. Some forces we just must submit to and hope we land where we are intended to.


"We've gotta roll with the punches
Learn to play all of our hunches
Make the best of whatever comes your way
Forget that blind ambition
And learn to trust your intuition
Plowin' straight ahead come what may..."
--Jimmy Buffett

Comments

Popular Posts