Happy New Year

Max temp: 24 degrees F
Min temp: 11 degrees F

And the new sun rose, bringing the new year.
--Tennyson



If I couldn't spend it with Dennis, I spent it as best I could, warm in our snug home with the cats as company. I opened a bottle of bubbly and sipped it from one of our new champagne flutes throughout the evening. Denny called around six to wish me a Happy New Year and say he was going out with the boys and wouldn't be calling later because he'd undoubtedly in no condition for serious conversation by midnight.

Which was cool and thoughtful of him--I know he was thinking of me--as I was of him--when the year turned. We have the memory of our first New Year's Eve party spent together, in Fairbanks in 1982, you see. That evening, when the clock struck midnight, we looked at each other and just sort of knew that 1983 was going to be a special year for us. We never actually vocalized it, but the glance we exchanged said it all. And so New Year's Eve has always been a bit special for us, whether we are together or apart.

So, it being the turning of the year and all, I de-grayed my hair. I was trying the L'Oriel Multi-Tonal stuff--first you apply the base color and then you add highlights. Well, despite the directions, I found I hadn't applied the highlighter all the way to the roots of one particular strand, so I dug the discarded lightener out of the waste basket and applied it to the offending roots. Upon rinsing my hair, it was apparent that one small section of hair had gotten a double-dose of lightener, so there's sort of this light spot. And this strand is--of course--the first one I did, right in front of my head.

So, if I part my hair to one side, I can disguise the offending streak. And I can re-color next month...

Anyway, the rest of the evening was uneventful. Just the way I like my New Year's Eves...

I did get an unexpected phone call from a friend I hadn't heard from in some time. He's been going through some changes this year and seemed at loose ends--his wife and kids were spending the holiday elsewhere. Truth be told, we were probably both a bit in our cups but we had a great conversation about love and loss and life and all those heavy things people discuss when they are being drunk and brilliant. Heh heh heh.

Then, about eleven-thirty, I got the traditional call from Up North. Why am I sometimes surprised when my family seems to like me? It was sweet and thoughtful of them to include me in the celebration via speaker phone.

Still, I was glad to be tucked into bed with my kitties and a bottle of water in time to watch the (tape delayed) ball drop in NYC.

*Cheers*

My warmest wishes for a happy and healthy new year go out to you all.

Comments

Popular Posts