There was frost on the deck this morning. I guess that explains why Lola and Tiny joined us on the bed last night. I turned the house heat up to 65 this morning and the furnace immediately kicked on for the first time in weeks. As the sun rose and warmed the air, the birds were out in force around the back yard. A varied thrush explored the area around the wood pile and I even saw a spruce hen (spruce grouse) in a small tree in the back lot.

I watched Ted Koppel's interview of the FEMA director last night with a sick sense of disbelief in my gut. You would think after all my years as a civil servant, government incompetence wouldn't upset me so much but the staggering inertia of FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security is just embarrassing. Predictably, the discussion of the hurricane and its aftermath has gotten politicized as people try to comprehend such a staggering failure of government to provide for the common welfare on all levels. Rather than drift from the personal into the political here, I've posted links to some interesting news articles on my other blog.

Comments

Popular Posts