Happy Holidays!

23 degrees, six inches of snow on the ground
Light snow falling

I woke up this morning to the sweetest thing. One of the cats was vigorously, ecstatically rubbing against my feet. I looked down to the foot of the bed to see...Black Bart. Yes, the cat that I judged "hopelessly feral" two years ago. Over the past few days, he and I have been getting closer to an understanding. He has let me approach closer and even done "courting" gestures, like rubbing his face on something nearby when I talk to him. The signals seem to be that he wouldn't be adverse to being petted, though he retreated off the bed this morning when I reached toward him. He didn't seem to mind my feet rubbing him through the quilt, however.

Today is the hundred-and-first anniversary of my Grandma's birth. I think of her almost every day. As I grow older, I feel her loss more--I miss our conversations, wishing I had had the insight of experience when she was here to talk with. A bond of love joins us still, nearly two decades after her death. "Today is Grandma's birthday," is one of my first thoughts on Christmas Eve morn.

Click here for our online Holiday Card...

Popular Posts