Medical Concerns

I took Dinky and Toby John into the vet's this morning for their teeth cleaning. About an hour after I got back home, Dots called. I always shudder when that happens because I know it probably isn't good news. But this wasn't something I didn't know. "Toby John's diabetic..." "Well, I knew that--we've been trying to keep him controlled by diet..." Not very well, I discovered. His blood values were very high and Dots wants to get him stabilized (using insulin) as soon as we can. I have no objection to any of that. I was just disappointed because I had thought he was doing okay with the way we were approaching the problem. Also, I felt badly because I hadn't noticed the little infections--his eyes and gums for example--that would have told me there was something going on with him that wasn't right. It was just easier to think because he seemed to be doing fine that he was--in fact--doing fine.

In addition to that, he had to have some teeth pulled--better out than in--including two canines. That they were diseased/infected/worn enough to warrant pulling makes me hope that their absence will make TJ feel better, once he gets over the initial discomfort. Dinky lost a couple pre-molars as well, poor little thing, but I am hoping that having dealt with the infection in her mouth, her blood values may improve a bit with the next check. She is looking and acting so good it is hard for me to really believe in my heart that she is all that ill. It is something I know intellectually but a part of me keeps hoping that it will all turn out to be a mistake.

Anyway, I met Denny at the vet clinic this afternoon when he went to pick them up. I wanted to hear for myself what had been done and what Dots recommended. I took a half-hour off from work to run over there, then spent the rest of my shift on the 'net. I read some info on feline diabetes and I think I can manage the shots and the monitoring. It's not like I am breaking any new ground here. Feline diabetes has been around for a while and there is a lot of information available. What I wonder about is how I can manage Dinky and TJ and whoever comes next with some serious health issue. I know I will muddle through somehow--it's just more subtle stress on me.

Then, Denny talked with his GI surgeon today, hearing the results of his endoscopy last week. His Barrett's esophagus hasn't improved despite the medications he has been on for over a year. The doctor wants to operate and Denny was worrying over the options in true Cancerian fashion. He asked me to do some research and give him some input, so I got on Google and learned how to spell not only "Barrett's esophagus" but "fundoplication" as well. I came up with some questions for Denny to ask his surgeon and some other options he might consider. Barrett's is a pre-cancerous condition and the surgery the doctor wants to perform is more in the line of reducing acid reflux. It doesn't do anything about reducing the cancer risk. I told Denny if it was me, I would rather have something done to address the risk of cancer, because the medication is controlling his discomfort from heartburn adequately right now. If nothing else, I urged him to get a second opinion. I hope I can help him feel more confident in whatever decision he makes.

Looks like it may snow again--it's cold and billowy. Other places in this world are a month into spring. The cats keep telling me that they *know* the grass is coming up but I can't find any new shoots amid the dead grass of last year.

Comments

Popular Posts