Equinox

There was frost on the deck yesterday morning but yesterday's clear skies gave way to a fast-moving band of rain that moved through the area last night. By the time I drove home, typhoon-warm rain was pouring down.

So I was surprised when sunshine greeted me this morning. Today's clear skies and blustery winds are quinessentially autumn. The grasses and fireweed are bending down in the brisk 20-knot breeze and a few yellow leaves skitter across the pavement--precursors of what is to come. On the hillsides, the seasonal color-change is just beginning in scattered clusters of alders, though the grasses have already taken on a decided autumnal tint.

I can feel my spirit clearing in the change of season, shaking away the lethargic depression of the summer. There is still sadness and deep pain in me for recent losses--Pickle Boy, sweet Sassy, and irreplaceable Dinky. (No loss has hit me quite so hard as hers since Kisa died.) But I can feel acceptance growing in me. I don't have to be content with the changes time has brought to us, but I can accept that what has happened is done and there isn't any contradiction I can make. I have to move on.

Comments

(((Laura)))
Shelby said…
enjoyed reading your blog this moring.. I wrote you in my post today. take care.
Laura P. said…
Bobbie, I know you appreciate as much as anyone the lingering sorrow from losing one of our four-footed friends. I grow strong from your continuing love.

Shelby--thanks for the nod. I am in the process (slowly) of transferring old journal entries into this blog and would encourage you to visit and explore backward in time. I think you might find this autumnal entry enjoyable. I enjoy your blog.

Popular Posts