Bending Toward the Sun

I never grew geraniums until my Uncle Chuck pressed some starts on me a few autumns back. I liked the way that they readily propagated and grew them as houseplants throughout the winter.

When summer came, I potted them in my outside planters and after some acclimation, they grew happily enough.

Now, I understand the typical pattern is to cut the plants back in the fall and let them go dormant all winter. But I just can't seem to do that. The plants are growing so eagerly by freeze-up that I just can't kill them. So I delay their demise by bringing them inside and--under the household florescent lights--they seem to do okay.

This year, I brought the hanging baskets into the new shop and hung them by the south-facing window.



As long as I remember to water them once or twice a week, they seem to be happy enough. Though in the darkest part of winter, their yearning for the sun was palpable.

Comments

Zev said…
Sunlight is the hardest thing for my indoor plants to find in the winter, too. Though I'm sure it's not as bad as Alaska, our cabin's position on the side of the mountain means we usually only get sunlight from about 10 in the morning till 3 in the afternoon.

http://swordsintoplows.blogspot.com
Laura said…
That's about what we deal with in all but the darkest days of winter.
I like your blog. I don't comment much but I will certainly read. Thanks!

Popular Posts