Cold

5 degrees
16 inches of snow on the ground

This what happens when it clears off in the winter...

Was it just last week I was complaining about the warm temperatures and wishing it would cool off? This *is* more seasonable--and drier--but my heart goes out to the wild or abandoned creatures that have to cope with the cold. I checked the electric water dish by the back door to make sure it was working properly--I always have dry food out for the stray cats but I imagine finding unfrozen water is a challenge to them.

I heard birds up in the spruce trees while I was bringing in some wood for the stove, so I strew a generous portions of sunflower seeds out on the snow for them. I was hoping to see some pine grosbeaks--I thought I recognized their song--but I had to leave for work before any birds took up my offering of food.


"To live here, you have to like to suffer, or to watch others suffer, preferably both." --Pat Monaghan on the sadomasochistic theory of Alaskan life.

Comments

Popular Posts