I can only watch with a horrified fascination as civilization disintegrates along the country's south coast. FEMA and other government agencies seem paralyzed by their own inertia while civil authorities in Mississippi and Lousiana beg for help. Where is the National Guard? In past disasters, we could rely on them to keep order and facilitate rescue work. Surely they can't all be over in Iraq? The only agency that is getting good press is the Coast Guard--and I doubt their commanders are looking to Washington for permission or guidance.

The reports of looting and other lawlessness are very distressing. Louisianna's governor was on The News Hour tonight, castigating the troublemakers like a disappointed mother. Surely it isn't just electricity that keeps us civilized? Or the fear of law enforcement? Of course, I live in a small town in a frontier area where most of us have alternate sources of light and heat and keep well-stocked pantries against isolating blizzards, floods or earthquakes. Most of us have personal firearms as well. I can't imagine that looting would even get started around here.

But that's easy to say when I'm safe and secure a continent away from destruction I can't even comprehend. I know I am blessed and live in a blessed land. I hope I may never know what it is to lose everything in one fell swoop. I try not to judge the actions of others when I haven't walked in their shoes and I learned a long time ago not to say, "I'd never do that" because fate has a way of making you eat your words.

***

Nightline tonight was a reminiscence of the essence of New Orleans by several prominent offspring of that city. They spoke of the soul of the city and its culture in tones that made me wonder if I was witnessing a wake. It was very sad.

I feel powerless to do anything significant to help. There is a wound in our national fabric that throbs in pain.

Perhaps things will look brighter tomorrow.

Music: "Do you Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans"
Harry Connick Jr.

Comments

LT said…
Hi Laura... I was clicking on "next blog" and yours caught my eye because I was in beautiful Homer just over a year ago. While there we went to the Pratt Museum, and I believe it's that museum that has an extensive exhibit about the 1964 earthquake and tsunami that originated in Prince William Sound. Later my friends and I were transfixed when we watched a video about the earthquake and tsunami at the bed & breakfast where we were staying, and it was a very somber evening thinking about the devastation and lives lost that night. I guess my point is that you really aren't "a continent away from destruction" because it's happened in your own back yard, just not recently and not in a way that it affected such a huge mass of people. I hope Alaska can stay a safe and secure place for all time -- it was wonderful visiting there! P.S. The Coast Guard is now under the wing of Homeland Security. I can't figure out HOW they were able to do what they did for Katrina so quickly and efficiently when all the other entities seemed to be so paralyzed.

Popular Posts