Snow

26 degrees, overcast, snow falling
5 inches of snow on the ground
1 inch fresh snow

Finally, after two days of rain and a night of howling winds, I woke up to steady snow driven in on a westerly breeze. An inch or so had already fallen by the time I went out to bring in wood for the stove. At the time I ventured out, the snow was falling as snow pellets--hard, compact pills of snow that pelted me like rain. That probably indicated some sort of disturbance in the air aloft...by the time I was done hauling wood, the pellets had been replaced by more conventional snowflakes.

I was out until nine last night, helping to set up the Homer Animal Friends booth at the annual Christmas Bazaar. It was fun but I don't plan to attend the Bazaar. We aren't much for gift-giving. Denny and I give gifts when the spirit strikes us, not on special days. Besides, I have no real reason to brave the snow-over-ice roads.

I have stumbled across a possible item for next year's bazaar, though. The warehouse store has been selling glass flower/candle holders for about a buck a piece--just a fluted bowl, really. I picked a couple up this summer to use for flowers on the patio table and was dinking around this week trying to use them as holiday holly or flower holders. Instead, they became votive holders. I had some tumbled glass and some glass cubes for holding floral arrangements in place. I mixed the cubes and glass in the bowls until they were about half full, then scattered a few tiny green, red and gold ornaments I got at the drugstore around the edges, holding them with a thin layer of the tumbled glass. They looked really nice. I decided that a red or green votive would look better in them than a sprig of artificial holly. So I bought some votives last night and tried them out. Impressively cute. If I could find more tumbled glass in town, I would make several more as "hostess" gifts. I will keep my eyes open and stock up on supplies after the holidays, and make some for next year's bazaar. I bet we could get $10-15 each for them--especially if the money was to go to the Spay/Neuter Fund.

Comments

Popular Posts