Hunkering Down

A most explosive day...

The volcano erupted several times today, sending up an ash cloud that put the southern Kenai Peninsula under a volcanic ashfall advisory and effectively shut down air travel over a large portion of the state. I kept checking the Alaska Volcano Observatory website for information. About the time the ash was expected to arrive at Homer, a light snow began falling. Only later, when I walked outside and saw the brownish-gray prints I left did I realize that the ash was hidden in the snowfall.

Earlier this morning, the house smelled briefly of burning. A quick investigation discovered that the fan motor on the forced-air furnace had burnt out. We left it running continually, circulating air throughout the building, as a means of taking advantage of the heated slab in the shop. Without it, the temperature in different areas of the house will start to vary but we have smaller fans in various locations that keep air moving. Between the wood stove in the house and the boiler in the shop, we should manage fine until we can get the furnace fan repaired.

About the time I had finished getting dressed for work, I got the call I had been hoping for from my supervisor. They had decided to close the Homer FSS for the afternoon so I didn't need to go in. A free day off. With Denny feeling poorly, I was glad to have the time to spend with him at home and not worrying about driving around in a possible ash fall.

Popular Posts