Zero degrees
Southwest winds at fifteen kts
4-5 inches of fresh snow, about a foot on the ground


The volcano is erupting again. It started off about an hour or so before I got off work last night. My first inkling was a Volcanic Ash Advisory that came over the fax machine right at quitting time. The winds aloft are steering the ash to the southeast, toward Kodiak. Any ash that might drift in our direction would be hidden by the large amounts of dry snow that have been falling since last night. I can't say for certain but suspect much of the moisture that has been falling as snow had its originis as volcanic steam.


ALASKA VOLCANO OBSERVATORY INFORMATION RELEASE
Saturday, January 28, 2006 8:55 AM AKST (1755 UTC)

AUGUSTINE VOLCANO
59.3633°N 153.4333°W, Summit Elevation 4134 ft (1260 m)
Current Level of Concern Color Code: RED

Four explosive eruptions have occurred in the last 12 hours. The first began at 20:24 AKST 27 January (0524 UTC 28 January) and had a total duration of 9 minutes. According to the National Weather Service (NWS), an ash cloud reached a maximum height of around 30,000 feet above sea level (asl) and drifted southeast. The second occurred at 23:37 AKST 27 January (0837 UTC 28 January) and had a duration of 1 minute. No ash was detected above 10,000 feet after this event. The third occurred at 02:04 AKST (1104 UTC) 28 January and had a duration of 2 minutes. Ash drifted SE at a height of up to 26,000 feet (NWS). The fourth occurred at 07:42 AKST (1642 UTC) 28 January and had a duration of 3 minutes. The ash cloud drifted SE at a maximum height of 25,000 feet (NWS). Ashfall advisories are issued by NWS and the most up to date information can be found at http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/augustine.php.

Yesterday marked a month since we had to have Fat Sally put to sleep. I'm still real sad about that, though I tell myself we did okay by her. I just wish...well, it I had known her time with us was going to be so brief, I would have tried harder to befriend her. I know she felt safe and secure in our house but she never sought affection from us, poor thing. It makes me sad that Denny and I are the only people who mark her passing or mourn her, that the only remembrance of her life is one blurry photograph.

Popular Posts