Vanilla Coke

Well, so far I have accomplished very little during my vacation.

I'm sure most of my low-octane mood is a reaction of the highs and lows of the past week or so.

Mom had a pacemaker implanted and was discharged from the hospital on Wednesday. She and Dad drove back to Fairbanks on Thursday and she's now forwarding every inane email that comes into her inbox, so I guess she's feeling back to normal.

That good news was balanced by an admission from Vincent that his marriage is indeed over. My heart hurts for him, because I know this wasn't what he wanted. I can't say it came as a complete surprise, though, because several of us in a small circle of friends have had unformed questions about what has been going on in his life this past year. We suspected but didn't want to hear that it was true. Predictably--and distastefully--since making the announcement to the entire group, he has been innudated by offers of soft shoulders to cry on, as if his pain is someone else's opportunity to make a move. There are those who confuse the desire to possess with love, I suppose. I shall let him be for a while. He knows where I am should he want to talk...and I don't need to tell him how sad I feel for him.

I spent today hanging in suspense--my cousin was supposed to drop by about mid-day for a visit. It is now five pm. I played a few more hours of "Syberia", cleaned the cat boxes, sorted some papers, paid some bills. About three, I lay down with a sci-fi collection for a short doze. Then I got up and sipped a couple of vanilla cokes while searching for livejournals of interest. I'd join a D'Onofrio interest group but they all seem to be exclusively populated with adolescent Australians that go on and on about how "hot" Vincent is. Makes me want to gag.

I was distracted in my web-surfing by Lena's eyes. She was lying in the drawer next to the keyboard--her usual resting place when I am on-line. Lately, cats' eyes have fascinated me. Her iris has the color and texture of beaten gold with greenish tinges. I got out my close-up lenses and tried to capture the beauty.




Think I'll drive into town for a pizza. It's been a month since my last indulgence and I dearly love the butter-crust-three-cheese-with-sausage-and-pepperoni number that Starvin' Marvin's offers...

Popular Posts