It wasn't as smoky today when I got up, though the sky had a bright platinum sheen to it that obscured any clouds or sight of blue.

I made some coffee, medicated the cats then went out to the greenhouse. I ended up spending a large portion of the morning there, harvesting herbs and making sure all the plants were watered. I got copius amounts of basil--maybe I'll make some pesto tomorrow. Spraying with a mild soap solution took care of the spider-mites or whatever they were that were causing the basil leaves to curl up. I also got a nice amount of catnip that I will start drying for winter. there were some aphids on the catnip--just a few--some I will see if the soap solution works on those as well.

Back in the house, I gave BooBoo her fluids. I wanted to give her a good amount--maybe 150ml--but had to re-stick her with the needle when it came out after only a few minutes. The second poke took better and I managed to get her well-hydrated, despite her fidgeting and Tommy trying to come visit me. I had to hold him off with one hand while keeping the needle in place with the other. When I was finished, I decided to put a screw up in the joists so I could hang the saline bag a bit higher next time. As is typical around here, I spent a good fifteen or twenty minutes looking for a screw and a screw-gun and the proper bit. *Sigh*

I had wanted to get all the cats' fountains cleaned today but ended up rushed for time, so only got three of the five done. I did get the big water-cooler type drinking bowls cleaned--both the one in the shop and the one in the back rooms--so I only have two of the fountains to do later. I didn't get the cat boxes done but will try to do some of them tonight if I'm not too tired.

For some reason that doesn't seem all that clear to me now, I stopped by Safeway last night on my way home from work and bought 15 pounds of blueberries and eight pounds of strawberries. (They were having a sale...) I plan to wash and freeze the fruit--the blueberries whole, the strawberries sliced with some Splenda--but didn't have time to get started on that this morning. Hopefully, I can get that taken care of before the fruit starts to spoil.

***

The bay was full of smoke this afternoon but visibilities were much better than yesterday. The fire must be fairly large--the TFR has expanded from twelve to sixteen miles in diameter. Anchorage and the valley are reporting restricted visibilies in smoke so it may be a fairly quiet evening despite being Friday.

Comments

Popular Posts