Clear and cold
About a foot-and-a-half of snow on the ground


It's hard to tell how much snow is on the ground. During the warmer weather last week, it developed a very hard crust of ice that renders it semi-permanent at this point. Just eye-balling it from the second floor window, it looks like we have a ten inches or so left on the tarp over the wood pile. The winds evaporated quite a bit of it over the last two days. How much is actually on the ground would take an explorary foray that I am not up to.

The winds were strengthening by the time I got home last night. Once darkness fell, I could hear the wind howling and shaking things outside. I haven't yet gone out to see if I need to collect the garbage cans or various buillding parts from the yard.

Last week, Dutch Harbor experienced sustained winds of 100 mph for over six hours, resulting in a lot of damage. Did this make any national news? No, of course not. People just expect Alaskan weather to be horrific, I guess.

Comments

Popular Posts