Snow On The Ground

15 inches of snow on the ground
15-20 degrees overnight, warming to 36 during the heat of the day
High thin clouds

Last week's snowfall has condensed itself down to about a foot-and-a-half and grown a hard crust. So walking across the deck to the wood pile, I only sink down about two inches into Sunday's snow and that's it. But just because those snowy crusts have a way of breaking beneath your weight at the most inconvenient time, I wore my mukluks while bringing in wood this noon. Just in case.

I love my mukluks. Despite their name, these are actually Air Force surplus, so instead of being beaded and fur-trimmed like proper mukluks, these are an olive-drab green with felt liners. But I do love them, because once I get my feet snuggled inside and the two sets of laces and the long zipper close, my feet are impervious to snow and cold and they are wonderfully comfortable. No snow down the leg to melt around my ankle--just a cocoon of warmth from tow to knee.

On Sunday, Denny showed me how to use the backhoe to clear the driveway. By the time he got home late Saturday night, we had over a foot of slush in the driveway and getting in and out with the two-wheel drive vehicles was an effort. I am glad for the lesson--it feels empowering. I had thought--when the snow was coming down last week--that I *should* go out with the snow blower and clear a path to get in and out of the place but since most of the snow fell overnight, by the time I woke up to it, there was too much of it to handle with the snow blower. If it had been dry and fine, maybe but this stuff was heavy and wet and would have clogged the chute with long tubes of ice.

Popular Posts