Tommy and Cissy

I hit the ground running after I got off work this afternoon...

I had a two-thirty appointment for Tommy with the vet, so raced home, grabbed him and headed back into town. The vet is confident in the diagnosis of insulin shock as the cause of Tommy's seizures. I guess now I know what insulin shock looks like. She still feels he needs 2 units a day but drew blood for a glucose profile to see how he has been doing. He also has a mild bladder infection so he's on antibiotics for ten days.

You would think he would be hard to pill. He locks his strong jaws together but once you pry them open far enough to pop a pill in his mouth, he automatically swallows. Much nicer than dealing with Frieda, who is so resistant to anyone putting anything in her mouth (reminiscent of another red cat I know...) that I would much rather give her injections than oral meds...

Once I got Tommy back home, I decided to muck out the cat run and replace the straw with fresh hay before it got dark. The remnants of the last bale I bought have been taking up space in one of the storage sheds since summer. The hard ground and the light snow cover made it possible to haul the used straw out with the wheelbarrow. Once I got started, it only took about half-an-hour and I was finished by five. Snickers was out playing in the deep hay when I went inside.

I'm worried about Cissy, though. She was out in the cat run when I went to clean it, huddled up in the straw and looking miserable, with running nosy and gummy mouth. She is dirty from sleeping on the floor at the front of the shop. She has been quiet and reclusive the last few days--signs that I would have paid closer attention to if I hadn't been caught up with Tommy's problems.

I took her inside, washed her face, gave her one of Frieda's vitamin B-12 shots and started her on some amoxicillin. I hope that sets her to rights.

Comments

Popular Posts