I took a jigsaw puzzle to work last week to work on when things got quiet but I realized last night that it was the puzzle I last worked during the Superbowl back in February. Dinky was doubtless sitting curled up next to me--unremarkable in her ordinary presence--as I put the puzzle pieces in place, neither of us suspecting what lay in our future. The diagnosis of CRF was still some weeks away and I had no inkling that the next time I took that puzzle out of its box, she would be gone.

I hate being so wracked by grief but I know it is a process that has to run its course.

What hurts is knowing that time is taking her away from me, that with each day that passes her essence is less distinct, her presence less palpable. My little calico cat is slipping away and there is nothing I can do to hold her as tightly against my heart as I would wish.

Comments

Popular Posts