Backyard Flowers

Our small backyard was aglow with sunlight this morning...





I thought the backlit nasturtiums looked particularly pretty. I planted Whirlybird mix in an old metal milk jug, looking for a trailing effect. Despite the cool summer, they are doing well.







These violas, growing in the shade by the porch, are "volunteers"--sprouted from the seeds of last year's plants and fighting their way through the horsetails to sunlight. Unexpected and welcomed.





Nature provides the white clover. I know they are considered weeds by most folk but I appreciate their enthusiasm for our poor soil and their tenacity, resisting our footprints and such. And their sweet, subtle fragrance, carried on a warm breeze, is delightful. I wish I could capture it.




Last year, I tried drying some clover blossoms but once they were dry, the fragrance was gone. I tried in vain to find an essential oil of clover on-line. Apparently the scent is hard to extract, so we have to enjoy it like we do all our flowers--beautiful and ephemeral. All too soon only a memory, like summer itself.

Comments

Popular Posts