The wind has swapped around 180-degrees from yesterday, when it was blowing out of the southwest. The sky cleared off overnight and this morning a fairly stiff breeze was coming out of the northeast.

I went outside this morning to pick some grass for the cats in the shop and ended up slicing my fingers pretty good with the sharp edges. I had a handful of blood by the time I got to the downstairs bathroom to rinse under cold water. Wrapping a couple of paper towels around my hand, I went upstairs to get bandages and antiseptic ointment. Then I had to keep pressure on my finger for a few minutes until the bleeding slowed enough so we could bandage it. Since Denny did the bandaging, I have a couple of impressive wrappings around my thumb and one finger. My pinky has a slash on it as well but it was smaller and will heal without any care. actually, my hands are looking pretty rough, since I have a couple bandages on my left hand as well--one of the kittens at the Shelter was startled Wednesday and kicked off against my hand, leaving a long scratch down the side of my index finger. It started hurting so I have been diligent about putting antiseptic on it and keeping it covered.

Mt. St. Helens erupted this morning--just a little steam and ash but pretty exciting for the folks in Washington, I guess. We were watching a live camera shot of the mountain, as I said, "Cool!"--being something of a geology nerd.

"No, it's not!" said Denny, who has to fly to Oklahoma on Monday. (He later had to admit that, yes--it really was cool...even if it did lead to flight delays.)

Speaking of which, I sort of lost my cool today with my Mom and sister-in-law. Via email, of course. I am on their list to get forwarded everything they feel is of critical importance, and not unexpectedly, I am 180-degrees different from them in matters of religion and politics. Maybe it was their blind assumption that of course, being a reasonable person, I would agree with them on the need to ban gay marriage and preserve references to Christianity in governmental affairs and share their view that John Kerry is obviously unfit to serve as president. (Hello? George Bush was qualified?) Anyway, I finally shot back that the last Republican I voted for was Gerald Ford, so no doubt they will be shaking their heads and clicking their tongues over what a fuzzy-thinking liberal Laura is....

I don't mind them having their own opinions of things, but I do feel that 1)by the time a person reaches my age, they aren't going to have their basic spiritual or political beliefs change by an email and 2) religion and politics really are too personal to make good topics for polite conversation, just like my Grandma always told me.

Why do people feel the need to force-feed their opinions and views onto others? Denny pointed out that there is always the "delete" key, but on the other hand, I didn't want to appear to condone by silence the continued attacks on non-Christians and political compassion. So I put my foot in it and we'll see what comes of it.

Comments

Popular Posts