The Quickening of the Year

That's what this point of time--half-way between the Solstice and the Equinox--is known as...

The Quickening of the Year.

Candlemas, Imbolc, Groundhog's Day...

We have reached that point in time where--although it is still deep winter in these northlands--the days have begun to grow noticeably longer. I look outside as I go for my second cup of coffee in the morning and am surprised to see that it is growing light. Or that the yard is still clearly discernable after the five-o-clock news.

I took advantage of my time at home this week to--slowly and finally--put the Christmas decorations away. It took me thre days to get the tree ungarnished and packed away. That corner of the living area looks a bit naked but it is nice having a bit extra room.

I stood cat-watch while Denny opened the attic access and stowed away box after box of seasonal merriment. But none of the four-footed ones showed any interest in seeing what Daddy was doing through the hole in the wall.

With the holiday decorations down, I brought out the box of the glass bottles that usually sit on the high dining room windows and dusted them off and put them back in place. The high windows are popular for being cat-proof. At least so far. Since we moved the cat tree.




Blues skies, clear light and cold, cold, cold--must be time for February.

Comments

Popular Posts