Trip to Soldotna

Up before dawn to hit the road again.

I guess it's nice that we are still in the season where "up before dawn" doesn't entail setting the alarm clock.

(I hate alarm clocks...)

Anyway, it was back to Soldotna for a post-op check-up. The dawn was coloring the whole sky when we stepped outside just after nine this morning. Click on the photo to make it larger. I love the way the pink and blue in the sky form bands around the horizon. This view was actually looking away from the dawn, toward the northwest.



We saw eight moose between our house and Anchor Point. They contrasted nicely with the bright snow. By the time we reached Soldotna, we had seen eleven moose, including one that was standing in the road--fortunately in the opposite lane--when we rounded a corner.

There aren't any pictures of all these moose because Denny doesn't believe in stopping for anything but the most urgent calls of Nature when we are on a road trip.



In fact, I snapped this picture from the bridge over the Kenai River as we were heading home. Considering that we were zooming along at forty-five miles-an-hour, I think it turned out pretty well. The larger version shows Mt. Redoubt above the remains of a fog layer that was covering Kenai-Soldotna when we arrived. We are looking west across the mouth of the Kenai River and Cook Inlet. I think it was about two in the afternoon.

We saw three more moose on the way back home.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My brain was a little fuzzy because my post-op visit took a turn somewhere in the middle and became a pre-op visit. I am still not feeling 100% from the laproscopic-thingy they did last week but I am now scheduled for surgery (a hysterectomy) next Tuesday.

I guess since we know it needs to be done, there is no sense screwing around. The sooner we get it done, the sooner I can start healing. I have waited six years to get to this point and I figured this would probably be how things resolved. It just gave me some mental whip-lash to be sitting in the office waiting room at 10:45 and then be walking out of the hospital--having gone through all the pre-admission tests--one hour later.

Since this has been a possibility for some time, I have had time to think about my emotional response to the surgery. And although I know it will be a big physical ordeal, I don't expect any emotional reaction--except relief--to saying good-bye to parts that have served out their warranty and would only be a source of problems in the future. I mean--it wasn't like I have been using those parts for the last few years and the malignancies that grow in those dark and secret places tend to be hard to detect.

Besides, as I told Denny, I live in a houseful of spayed females and they are still all-girl. Having their example is very heartening.

Comments

Yolanda said…
I love these shots of the sky and landscape . Just beautiful

Popular Posts