Driving to Anchorage - Part One

We had a quiet holiday weekend in Homer. Denny went across the bay to the cabin on MacDonald Spit--helping to transport the holiday crowd--while I stayed home on cat-care duties.

Denny came home yesterday afternoon; this morning it was my turn to leave. I had to drive to Anchorage to meet with my parents. My Mom is having her pace-maker replaced tomorrow and I need to be on hand to offer support.

I really didn't want to go. My heart aches when I am away from home, Denny and the cats. But I couldn't justify not going to Anchorage and I did want to see Mom and Dad.

So about ten-thirty this morning, I was pulling the car onto the Sterling Highway and turning left instead of my usual right.

The day was just gorgeous--clear blue sky and unlimited visibility. I pulled over at Starisky--about a half-hour north of home--to take in the view across Cook Inlet. (Click on the pictures for an expanded view.)



Mt. Iliamna looks serene under her snow cap.



Mt. Redoubt is obviously more restless. The constant fine shower of volcanic dust has covered the snow of the volcano and all the nearby peaks. Redoubt is about the same height as Mt. Iliamna, but you can see the difference in snow-cover.

And what Alaskan summer road-trip is complete without construction delays? This was twenty minutes further up the road, where bridge-work is being done at Ninilchik.



There wasn't much of a delay--only four or five minutes. It was such a nice day, I really didn't mind.

(End Part One)

Comments

Popular Posts