I'm *still* dealing with the root canal from hell after three visits to dentists, including a trip to Soldotna and a trip to Anchorage. I have to go back to Soldotna next week for the final filling. I can hardly describe how excruciating it has been. Not just physical pain but enduring the whole stmosphere of the dentist's office has been an ordeal which I shall rant about elsewhere.

There is a lot of anger in me from this experience. My jaw is sore when I pat it to apply face cream. He surprised me Monday by coming into the exam area and practically jumping on me with the novacaine--no warning, just the needle. He seemed to take an extraordinary long time in placing the injections while I tried my best not to register the pain. It was as if he was deliberately trying to cause as much pain as possible--I have never had more painful dental injections but damned if I would let the sadistic bastard know how much he was hurting me.

Not as if he asked...

The most discomfort, however, was that during both dental appointments, I was subjected to what is apparently the radio station of choice for that practice--an extreme right-wing talk radio station. It wasn't just that my poor little liberal ears were offended (and with a dental dam in, there wasn't much I could say by way of witty retorts, anyway...) It is actually rather humorous in a way to hear that radio station tout itself as "smart" and "intelligent radio" and yet revel in such distorted content and faulty logic. One of the more amusing things was listening to Rush Limbaugh tell his listeners what it was that feminists wanted. (Apparently, we want to destroy the family as a unit. I must have missed that meeting.... And here I always thought the goal of feminism was to gain and ensure women the same basic human rights extended to men, silly me.)

God, there is so much fear and hatred on the right. All the more ironic as they like to visualize themselves as the only decent, Christian, right-thinking people in the country. But underneath all the lofty rhetoric is hate and fear.

Comments

Popular Posts