Shimmering



The sky is a cloudless silvery-blue. Across the bay, the mountains lie nearly naked, baking in the heat. A day breeze has kicked up this afternoon, bringing the welcomed cool air from the sea. The air is so dry that no clouds have built in the on-shore breeze.

It is late in the summer for such lovely weather. The hills are purple with fireweed. Autumn can't be far from us now--just a matter of weeks. But they can be glorious weeks.

I stopped myself from going out to the Shelter last night to check on Toby-John. I have to let him go. He isn't ours any more (and I doubt Sunspot will be much longer either) and it isn't fair for me to get him upset. Damn, I really am fond of him--he's a loving and intelligent cat--and it hurts to let him go but I owe him a better life than living in a cage, no matter how spacious. He needs a person, a family to be part of, not sit in the shadows while life goes on around him.

I finally got by NAPA to get some extra air filters for three of the vehicles. I won't say we're ready for the big eruption now but it's a step in the right direction.

I don't know what to do with Sunspot...

My anger at her for her attack on Star has abated somewhat but it still seems that she isn't fitting into our household. Being kept in a cage or small room is no way for her to spend the latter days of her life. I feel sorry for her. I like her in many ways. But we haven't bonded and the way things are, I doubt that we will. I keep her out of pity but what sort of a life does she have? If she hangs on for another year or two, only to spend it segregated or in a cage, what has she gained?

I just don't know. I don't want to keep her like this.

Comments

Popular Posts