It was another of those nights where I drifted between sleep and wakefulness, wondering what was happening in Anchorage. The small hours of the night... I tried distracting myself by watching the documentaries on "The Two Towers" DVD while Denny dozed beside me.

He was awake before me and brought me coffee when I finally swam to the surface. We watched the morning news while wondering when it might be a good time to call Providence. I finally called about eight-thirty and fretted during the long delay between asking for my Mom's room and getting an answer. The nurse came back on the line to say that she was in the Catheterization Lab. I took that as a good sign--at least she wasn't in surgery.

An hour or so later, Dad called to update us. It turns out that the pacemaker and the stints are working just as they should and the pain Mom has been experiencing was not her heart.

(big sigh of relief...) Now--perhaps-- we can try to enjoy the holidays.

Popular Posts