I woke up in the middle of the night, hot and thirsty but so stiff and tired from working in the yard that the thought of going downstairs to get something to drink seemed like too much effort, even though I briefly considered crawling to the stairs. What little I have been able to dig on Lucy's grave has left me sore from muscles gone soft during the winter.

Despite the sunny days, the air temperature has been cool. If I leave the windows open, the house gets cold around the time I am going to bed. Still, I wake up with night sweats and a stuffy head. With five or six cats vying for position on the bed, I am regularly pinned in one position for hours at a time, until the discomfort wakes me and I have to negotiate with the cats in order to shift position.

The "bed cats" have their favorite spots. Bunny and Punkin claim the pillows (which doesn't leave much for me but I manage), Tiny likes to sleep curled up next to my face on my right side, while Dinky prefers to be under the covers next to my chest. She favors the right side but will take the left if I am facing that way. Lola has taken to sleeping on the bed on occasion, usually against or between my legs. Frannie, Charcoal and Lena are occasional nocturnal visitors, as is Pickle Boy if he isn't bunking with his bros.

Is it any wonder I rarely sleep for more than two hours at a spell?

Comments

Popular Posts