Waking up this morning was like swimming up from a great depth.

I took a healthy slug of Benadryl before I turned in last night because I was so stiff and sore. As a result I slept pretty soundly, only waking briefly at four and at six, but I have trouble shaking off the effects of the drug, so didn't get out of bed until after nine and things went slowly all morning.

I always pile up a list of things I would like to accomplish before Denny gets back home--as a result, I find myself rushing to get done those things I have decided must get done--laundry, vacuuming, etc--and wearing myself down to a frazzle. The thing is, I don't think he cares, or even notices, if there are skiffs of cat hair under the cabinets.

Anyway, after the physical activity of yesterday, I felt old and worn today. It took a nice long shower and several cups of coffee before I felt alive enough to tackle the morning chores. At least Johnny seems back to his old self, so I didn't have to given him meds or fluids.

The morning was mostly sunny, with occasional tendrils of fog blowing across the bluff. When I opened the door and windows to let in the cool air, I caught a wiff of smoke in the breeze, probably blown down from the wildfires in the Interior.

I stayed up until after one last night, waiting for the sky to darken enough so I could try to see the comet. Unfortunately, by the time I figured I should be able to see it, a thin veil of clouds had moved across the sky, masking the stars. When I woke up at four, it was already too light to see any stars and as our hours of darkness shrink, so do my chances of seeing the comet, especially when the weather is factored in. This evening looks to be nearly clear, so perhaps I'll have better luck tonight.

Ah summer--the season of burning one's candle at both ends. The main trouble is that in these latitudes, the two ends tend to meet in the middle.

Oh, lest I forget--Happy Birthday, Bunny-Buns! Our little blind, stub-tailed kitty was born eight years ago today. What a pleasure it has been to have her in our lives.

Comments

Popular Posts