Blizzard

There's no more succinct way to put it--it is blizzarding outside today.

Even though we only had about an inch of snow on the ground at this time last week, I never had any doubt we would have a white Christmas. With the wind gusting over twenty knots and the visibility between a quarter- and a half-mile, it is a good day to be snug inside, close by the fire.

But not me--I have to go to work.

Lucky for me, Denny made it home last night. We got enough snow yesterday so that I went out in the late afternoon and used the snow-blower to clear enough of the driveway for him to pull in and park. He had driven the two-wheel-drive Chevy pick-up to Anchorage. I had to put the Suburban into 4WD to get in and out of the driveway on my trip to town and back yesterday, and I didn't want his two-hundred-some mile drive home from Anchorage last night to end twenty yards from the house.

Clearing what I needed with the snow-blower only took about half-an-hour. It was just after sunset and the full moon lit the snow so beautifully that I really didn't mind the chore.

But this morning, Denny took the backhoe out and cleared the driveway and parking area properly, so we can get any of the vehicles out if we need them and not risk getting stuck in the driveway. That's so much easier and faster than clearing snow with the blower.


Driving to work this afternoon


At least the weather is bad enough that no one is entertaining any thoughts that they may be able to sneak in or out of Homer during a break in the weather, so the airport traffic is light-to-nonexistent. I expect I will talk to one or two air carriers this evening and that will be about it.


The usual view south from the Station

So, as the falling snow outside turns blue in the fading daylight, I settle in for a quiet shift and wish everyone out there in cyberspace a safe and happy holiday.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

Popular Posts