Here Comes Our White Christmas

The National Weather Service in Anchorage has issued a Heavy Snow Warning which is in effect from 4 PM this afternoon to 12 PM AST Friday.

A nearly stationary trough of low pressure along Cook Inlet and cold temperatures will bring heavy snow for locations along Kachemak Bay. Storm total accumulations of 8 to 14 inches can be expected along Kachemak Bay from this afternoon through Friday
morning. Greatest amounts are expected near Seldovia and the Homer Bluff.

Significant amounts of snow are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only travel in an emergency.


It was overcast this morning and ten degrees. By daybreak, a light snow was falling that continued through the morning. Less than an inch of fresh, dry snow had accumulated by the time I left for work this afternoon, but I decided to drive the Suburban instead of my Crown Victoria, just in case.

At dusk, the snow began in earnest--heavy thick flakes and a gusty northeasterly wind. As I write this, there is three inches of snow on the ground and the snowfall continues. It will be interesting to see how much snow we got up on the bluff.

I'm glad I drove a four-wheel-drive.

ETA: I took this picture of the lighted trees out back when I got home from work tonight...



*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

Popular Posts