January, Looking Back - 1998

Not a lot going on this time of year. Short days and temperatures that keep us inside.

At least the temperatures continue to slowly moderate, marking an end to the penetrating cold. We got a light dusting of snow but not more than a half-inch. There is about ten inches of snow pack right now. It seems like there should be more, but we haven't hit our heaviest snow months yet.

Still, I remember the winter of 1998-99, when we were hit by a series of snow storms in late December and early January that left the snow packed up to the eaves. (There were more trees around us then, too...)



In truth, a lot of the snow came off the roof, but still--our eaves are eleven or twelve feet above the ground. That's a lot of snow. I tunneled along the side of the house to ease the pressure on the windows. We haven't had that much snow since.

1998 was the year we finally upgraded to Pentium II computers and Win98. The year we first hooked up to the Internet. The year that a tiny white kitten that we named Pickle Boy came to live with us. he would keep me company in the evenings when I was on-line or playing Tomb Raider.



Strange to think it has been over ten years already. I miss our little Pickle, who was with us for only nine years--too brief a time. But I am so grateful for the time we had, time to build a love that stays with me, keeps him close in my heart.

*~*~*~*

Since Janus, the Roman god for whom this month is named is depicted as having two faces--one to look ahead and one to look back, I will indulge on some looking back this month.

Stick around--you may learn something new about us...

Comments

Meggie said…
Looking forward to learning more about you, Laura. I can't imagine getting that much snow.
What good memories...Win98 and a beautiful cat on the monitor.

Amazing snow!

Popular Posts