2008 Photos - In The Greenhouse

Another overcast, melting day. We have had a series of them, leading us into December. If I stand on the back porch, close my eyes and inhale, I can imagine myself back in Washington State, on a drippy Puget Sound winter morning.

On a day such as this, it is pleasant to revisit the greenery of May and the flush of new growth in the greenhouse. That is one of my favorite places during the warmer months--that small little greenhouse filled with the vibrancy of life.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Humble, hardy but beautiful, violas always have a place in my gardens and flower boxes.




I have always favored purples and lilac-colored blooms but in the last year or so, I have brought home starter plants in white, ivory or pink shades.



I made up hanging baskets of violas and snapdragons to hang along the carport on the northwestern side of the house.



I discovered snapdragons, nemesia and cosmos two years ago. Their bright, sunshine colors lend themselves to the flower boxes on our south-facing deck.



The only plants that remain resident in the greenhouse throughout the season are the herbs--catnip, parsley, dill and celery. I love this cutting celery, with flavorful leaves that I dried for use in stews, soups and baked dishes.



The land is sleeping now, sealed under the frozen snow. It is good to look at these photos and know that spring will return with new growth.

Comments

Popular Posts