After the Storm

What was I thinking?

I mean, signing up for Holidailies. I barely had time to do justice to the project last year. I envisioned myself inviting the community into my life and sharing the joys and the challenges of daily life in my small Alaskan town. Instead, I found myself rushed for time and often posting photos and captions instead of prose.

In the intervening year, I told myself I would do justice to Holidailies this December. Whenever I had a particular elegant turn of phrase or amusing thought, I tried to file it away to trot out during this season.

Of course, I assumed that because I was retired this year, I would have ample time to make the insightful or amusing or illuminating entries I imagined myself making.

Silly me...

Someone told me that the trouble with being retired was that what used to take you an hour to do would now take all day. I thought it was a joke but I find tasks tend to expand now to take up all available time. I just got my holiday cards in the mail yesterday and today was taken up in the continuing saga of Mr. Twitch's bout with the flu--yet another vet visit and more medications.

So here are a couple more pictures.

When I got home from town this afternoon, I worked on replacing burnt-out lights on the trees in the back yard. And for a change of scene, I took a picture looking back at the house--to the north--from the stand of spruce trees. We have ten inches of snow on the ground--over six of it fresh-fallen today.



Yet another view of the sunset. I know--but this time of year, our attention at this latitude tends to focus on the light-play taking place most of the day along our southern horizon. The late afternoon brought clearing skies behind the storm front as a suddenly brisk wind started to strip the trees of the fresh snow. The result was a glory of light and color.

It is worth clicking to enlarge....





Comments

Frank said…
That is one gorgeous picture. I'm glad to se you back this year with Holidailies.

Popular Posts